I firmly believe that senility has totally seized Khushwant Singh’s heart and mind. He says that he is still well at 94 despite taking alcohol for long, but if his latest column is any indication, alcohol has definitely played an important part in his senility. With the age advancing, people tend to become morally upright and advise others to be the same. Khushwant Singh does just the opposite. This is simply because he is the most vocal product, at least in India, of what I call economic fundamentalism that banks on glorification and commercialisation of human weaknesses. I am giving below the figures of the worldwide mortalities due to the dangerous “choices” being given to the people:
• More than 2 million people commit suicides;
• More than 5 million people die of sex related diseases (more than 20 million have died of AIDS in recent years);
• More than 2.2 million die of alcohol related problems;
• More than 5 million die of smoking related problems;
• More than 70 million children are not allowed to take birth and are aborted.
Khushwant Singh should better learn some medicine before making wild statements like those he made in his column.
Dr Javed Jamil